Thursday, March 19, 2009

Time to Run Again...

In 2007, we established the Donna Vinson Memorial Scholarship. The idea came to me first and foremost to make sure her daughter Sarah had her fees taken care of until she left Ohio Elite. The idea grew into a scholarship fund that could help families in need play for Ohio Elite. I added my love for running and found that others had the same love and/or the desire to honor Donna Vinson. The 2007 Cleveland Marathon was a great success. My worst time ever, but one of my most satisfying races. Then I decided I would run a race every year for this cause. Last year it was the 112th Boston Marathon on April 21, 2008. Running last year in Boston in her honor most certainly pushed me a little more around mile 20 when I started to hurt and complain, something Donna or Sarah would never do. Like Sarah I simply put my head down and pushed to the end.

This year I approached Sarah about running a race with me. We chose the 32nd Heart Mini-Marathon in Cincinnati on March 29, 2009. Although I am not certain Sarah is thrilled to be running a 15k (no soccer player really likes to run unless they are chasing a ball), she wants to play a part in advancing this cause. That's just the kind of kid she is. All class.

It feels strange to bring this cause to light every year because Donna and the Vinson Family would never want to be in the spot light. They are the picture of hard working, dedicated and humble people. I get the feeling that they may even be embarrassed by the small attention this brings their way. In fact, I never really asked them if it was okay to establish this scholarship in Donna's name. I think maybe they would have said no. That fact gave me and others every reason to do it.

For those who knew Donna they knew a very positive woman who loved to watch the 90/91 Ohio Elite Girls' (then U11 and U12) play. She made it out when she could after she became ill when Sarah was 12. She was a great support as is her husband Todd. They were the perfect soccer parent's as far as I am concerned. They supported Sarah, the team and the club to the utmost. They always seem to put Sarah ahead of anything else. She was at every practice, game and tournament we ever had. Donna and Todd made sure of that.

Then there is Sarah. The kid just finds a way to make an impact on our team. She says little, but she doesn't need to say anything. Her actions speak for her. I truly believe that Sarah would do anything to help her team be successful and she has. She always put the team ahead of herself. Like a lot of players she has had her ups and downs through the developmental process. In the tough times she always put her head down and worked harder to sort it out. She has been the definition of a team player. In the good times she was simply our most valuable asset. The best story I can tell is Sarah asking me recently if it was okay to go to a Christian Camp this past summer prior to our playing in regionals. She promised she would run every day and be well prepared, but she thought the camp would be a great experience. Imagine my surprise given Sarah has never asked for any special consideration. She didn't need to ask this time either.

Most of you who read this don't know Donna or Sarah. But for every reason the Vinson Family would prefer not to have the attention there is every reason to hold them up as an example.
I hope that many will find in their hearts to support this cause. Most of all I know Donna and Sarah would be happy to have their family name attached to something that helps kids play soccer. For more information about the Donna Vinson Memorial Scholarship go to http://www.ohioelite.com/.

Sarah an I are off for a run!

-Doug