Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Is my child getting better?

As a parent of children who participate in many sports and extra-curricular activities, I want to know if my children are learning and hopefully improving.  It is fairly easy for me to discern if they are learning about their sport or activity, I just ask them to tell me about what they have learned or what they are doing at practice.  When I start getting a lot of repeat information or "I don't know," I can ask a few more questions based on the curriculum or the information instructors have given to me.  Most of the time, either my children didn't feel like talking to me or they weren't paying attention at training and missed something (if not everything).  
But what about those times when we (parents) feel that our child just isn't getting it?  I've read the curriculum.  I am active and involved with their activities.  However, when I go to games, it looks like my child isn't as good as the other players.  The other team seems so far ahead of our team.  Is the coach/instructor poor?  Is my child not paying attention?  Why is my child not paying attention?  Is my child the only one?  What should my child be learning?  Is my kid not any good?
Every parent runs into this at some point, and if they don't then they are either ignorant, not paying attention, or their child is not playing at a high enough level (this is for another blog).
Being a soccer coach, I will stick to what I know.  WHAT SHOULD MY CHILD BE DOING?  WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN GAMES?  Below are some competencies that every player should be working towards and be comfortable performing. 

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COMPETENCIES
To be more competitive moving into 8v8 (9v9) and the Juniors Program (U11), we have identified several areas that each player coming out of the YDA should be comfortable performing.

  • Handling balls out of the air and bouncing - Get it to the ground in 1 touch
    • a.       Heading
    • b.      Receiving with thighs, chest, and feet
  • Juggling – ability to begin with ball on ground and juggling using feet only for a minimum of 10 times with each foot and 25 times total.
  • Inside of foot passing – CHECK MARK over a distance of 15 yards with accuracy
  • Laces shooting – ability to strike a ball with laces and land on kicking foot
  • Receiving balls across the body
  • Seeing and being able to pass a ball into space so a player can run onto it
  • Shielding – not showing the defender the ball on the dribble (keep body between ball and defender)
  • Gaining field position and keeping it
  • Passing to eliminate defenders
  • Not turning back to ball (dead balls) - Always face ball (throw-ins, goalkicks, etc)
  • Recognizing 1st and 2nd Defenders (Space to Dribble into)
  • Dribbling – taking defenders on with confidence
  • Confidence on the ball (no matter where on the field) 

JUNIORS PROGRAM
Continuing to develop players first, we have identified areas that all players should be comfortable in performing.  These competencies are broken down for 8v8/9v9 (U11-U12) and 11v11 (U13-U14).


8v8 (9v9) Competencies

1v1 Defending (Approach, Athletic stance, Poke v Block Tackle, Gaining Possession)

Role of 2nd Defender

Heading (Defensive and Attacking)

Juggling – 50 times feet only

Creating space in attack for self and others

Roles of all positions

Risk vs Safety in areas of the field

Ability to serve from width with both feet (in air and on ground)

11v11 Competencies

Understanding & recognizing attacking combinations

Juggling – 100 times feet only

Receive balls with all parts under pressure (head, chest, legs, feet)

Understanding 1st, 2nd, 3rd defenders

High vs Low pressure

Cues to press
PLEASE UNDERSTAND that every player develops (physically, mentally, and socially) at different rates and at different times. If your child has mastered any of these areas, coaches may challenge them with more difficult skills and strategies or to train or play with a higher/older team.  At the same time, if your child is struggling with some or all of these competencies, coaches may ask your child to put in extra work, train or play with another team in order to get more repetitions and instruction.
Having mastered these skills early or still struggling DOES NOT determine whether your child will end up a high level player or a poor player.  Through my experience, successful players are determined by those who stick with it.  They are the ones who FAIL OFTEN, but WORK TO IMPROVE and OVERCOME THOSE FAILURES.
As a parent, look for these competencies and skills.  Encourage your child to spend extra time on areas they need work.  If you are not sure how to help, ask your coach.